[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.2.0-beta3 released (new pagelist code)

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 14:26:39 CDT 2006

--- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> Oh, I expect some equivalent of targets= to be in
> the core (:pagelist:) command, I just haven't
> convinced myself that "targets=" is the correct name

> for it. I'm afraid that many will misread
>
>     (:pagelist targets=Main.XYZ :)
>
> as meaning "list all of the pages with links to
> Main.XYZ", when it's actually "list all of the pages

> that Main.XYZ targets".

I agree, I couldn't come up with a better name either.
 But I figured that shouldn't hold a recipe up...

> Still, I haven't come up with a better name for it,
> so I might start with targets= and change it later
> if we come up with a better name.

...but it probably should have a good name before
getting into the core.  I figured you would come up
with something. :)

More explicit, but uglier would be:  targetsof=,
targetsin=.   Not quite as clear might be alltargets=
or alllinks=.

On that note, the links= is not really that clear
either, linksto=  would seems clearer and then maybe
linksin= or linksfrom= would make more sense.  links=
could be deprecated in this case and removed at some
much later point?

> In the case of (:pagelist targets=Main.*:), should
> pagelist make sure that each page is listed only
> once?
> In other words, if both Main.ABC and Main.DEF have
> links to Main.WikiSandbox, should Main.WikiSandbox
> appear once or twice in the resulting list?
>
> I'm guessing "once", but with trails it's possible
> for a single page to appear multiple times in the
> same list.

Well, while we're on a pagelist extravaganza, what
about allowing trail=Trail.* before answering the
question above?  What would we want to do in this
case?

I don't think that the * option would be particularly
valuable, but certainly the idea of concatted 2 trails
seems valuble?

Of course, another way to do that is with the
PageListWikiTrail recipe where you can put a pagelist
on a trail page and have it expanded: simply make the
pagelist reference a trail on another trail page. :)
You mentioned once that you were considering adding
that feature, is it possibly on your radar now?

> So, maybe what we need is to default to a unique
> list of pagenames, but provide an option that says
> "it's okay for a page to appear more than once in
the
> list".

In light of the duplicates on trails, a
unique=true/false switch would be nice with the
default being true for targets= and false for trail=.

-Martin