[pmwiki-users] Fwd: RFC PmWiki Tips and Tricks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 26 12:48:41 CDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:30:56AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> The main idea
> is to split the large cookbook index into many smaller
> indexes organized by categories.  These should load
> much faster than one large index and maybe be more
> manageable.

I think that he problem with the current Cookbook-ByCategory
page is not that there's one large index, but rather that
there are *23* large indexes (i.e., 23 separate
calls to (:pagelist:) and 23 separate calls to MarkupToHTML()).
As the directives written now, each index is effectively scanning
the entire PmWiki page collection 23 times.

It can be done *much* more efficiently with a single call
to (:pagelist:) if we use a custom formatter surrounding
the pagelist templates.  I still have plans to do this, but
there's a lot going on around here at the moment.  :-|

> Time to add a category for Scripts on recipes? :)

Sure, but I think one could almost as easily search for
pages containing "Attach:".  Yes, this would get some pages
that have attachments other than recipes, but I think it'd be
at least as accurate as having a separate Scripts category.  :-)