[pmwiki-users] new page attribute

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Mon Sep 25 21:42:23 CDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 10:08 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:53:02PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
>>    On Sep 25, 2006, at 9:11 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>
>>        I wanted it for *inside* pagelist format rules...
>>
>>      Ah, I thought you wanted to only display pages that had a
>> summary.
>>
>>    I also want something like:
>>    when $:BookAuthor begins with A
>>    make pagelist (sorted):
>>    pagelink - page{$:BookAuthor} - page{$:BookTitle}
>>    Or something like that.
>>    It's a pretty simple index, it just returns some fields in the
>> listing.
>
> Well, getting the pagelist itself is pretty simple:
>
>     [[{=$FullName}]] - {=$:BookAuthor} - {=$:BookTitle}
>
> The tricky part so far is "when $:BookAuthor begins with 'A'";
> ideally (for efficiency/speed reasons) it really should be coded as
> part of the (:pagelist:) directive and not a pagelist template.
>
> The best idea I have so far (just thinking about it off the top of
> my head) is
>
>     (:pagelist $:BookAuthor=A* fmt=... :)
>
> but this may require some substantial coding in (:pagelist:) to
> make it happen.  Similarly, for sorting on a page text variable,
> we'd have:
>
>     (:pagelist order=$:BookAuthor ... :)

I looked around for precedent and conflict and found:

A through AZ B through BZ C through CZ titles listing

I will have a large wiki with lots of play titles. I would like to be
able to have separate pagelists containing section A titles, section
B titles, section C titles, etc. instead of one large alphabetical
listing of titles. Is this possible with pagelist? PL 20060218

You can use wildcards for this:
       !!!A section:
       (:pagelist group=Plays list=normal name=A* :)
       !!!B section:
       (:pagelist group=Plays list=normal name=B* :)
       !!!C section:
       (:pagelist group=Plays list=normal name=C* :)
       etc.
       !!!X Y Z section
       (:pagelist group=Plays list=normal name=X*,Y*,Z* :)

Page: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistExplained

which seems to set some precedent for how this would work.  If we can
do name=A* then $:BookAuthor=A* makes some sense.  Same theory,
different data.

Crisses