[pmwiki-users] best practice

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Sep 25 18:49:48 CDT 2006

On Tuesday, 26 September 2006 3:30 AM, Marco Ferretti <marco.ferretti at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>I'm so happy with this tool that I am practically using it 4
>everything (thanks a lot !!!!) .
>
>I am porting a series of documents ( related to each other ) in
>a wiki.
>
>The documents are subdivided in paragraphs, like 1.1 1.2 1.2.1
>... and so on .
>
>My idea was to create a wiki group for each document, wiki pages for
>the paragraphs and relate the pages using a trail ( the map would be
>the table of contents of the document itself ) .
>

>So far so good  ... but what's teh best practice to handle a paragraph
>which depth is > 2
>
>MyDocument <- wiki group
> 1-  Abstract  <- Page
> 1.1 <- SubPage
>  1.1.1 <- ????
>

>TIA
>

>Marco

Just to add to what others have said...

Yes, use headings.

If you subsequently publish your document using wikipublisher and
the PublishPDF library, it will automatically nest headings on
pages within the overall document hierarchy. For example:

* ChapterNameA
** SectionNameA
** SectionNameB
* ChapterNameB

and so on. If SectionNameA contains (for example) !! markup,
this is treated as a subsection for the purpose of typesetting.
So the table of contents may have 3 levels and pick up
chapter names, section names and subsection names. If the
page SectionNameA contians 2 levels of headings, for example
!! and !!!!, the second level becomes a subsubsection.

The typesetter treats headings as relative, so if ChapterNameB
page contains !! and !!!!, these will be treated as sections
and subsections, preserving the document hierarchy.

And if you set up an alternate trail page like this:

* SectionNameA
* SectionNameB

the sections get treated as chapters and so the headings
move up in the hierarchy.

Hope this helps.

--
JR