[pmwiki-users] MD5 checksums or version control (was: Re:Avoiding simultaneous edits)

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Sep 21 12:19:16 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:30:37PM +0100, Américo Albuquerque wrote:
>> It would be handy if we could make a pagelist of md5. We could use it to
>> synchronize wiki source pages.
>
> Do you need a hash for the entire page (attributes and all) or
> just the page contents (text?).  If just the page contents, the
> md5 could be easily saved as a page attribute.  If the entire
> page, then the md5 takes some time to dynamically generate from
> each page file.
>
> Or do you simply want some sort of value that is guaranteed to change
> whenever a page is modified in any way?  That could be easily added.
>
> Pm

As I understand it, the MD5 thing came up as a way an end user could
tell if his recipes were up to date; compare the hash of existing to
what's on the site.

Would the hash and/or easily added thing change if an attached file
changes? I'm thinking of a cookbook author who makes a minor change,
updates the attached php file, but doesn't note it in the documentation.

Sandy