[pmwiki-users] Simple math

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 02:50:51 CDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 08:42:18AM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> > --- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> > > page?

> > > At the moment, no.  It needs a markup to make it
> > > work.
> >
> > Any chance you would consider introducing a parallel
> > to logical expressions for math?
> >
> > (:expr (4*5+8-9)/20 :)
> >
> > It could even be implemented the same way the
> > conditional extensions recipe was to start with using
> > eval and simply allowing the appropriate tokens only.
>
> In the core?  Probably not.  Until I see a lot of
> need for it in general use, this really sounds like a
> recipe to me.

BTW, the arrival of PData and the planned core enhancements led me to
the conclusion that I should obsolete the current PVE implementation.
More precisely, I'm thinking I should have decorrelated the page
variables/properties/... part from the functions suffixes introduced
in PVE, to have it working with any data source kind. IOW, making
WikiFormulas.
Don't expect anything soon, even if I already explored several
promising ideas, I'm still on a design/conception stage.

I'm not very kind of using the (:expr ...:) markup since it would
introduce more ambiguities than solving some.
IMHO, (:eval ...:) would be better.

Dom