[pmwiki-users] Markon, markoff

Mike Bishop mbishop at mtaonline.net
Wed Sep 13 15:44:52 CDT 2006

       (No, not the secret of Korean martial arts)

       Given--

          o Sites that are mainly CMS like;

          o Several editors contributing pages;

          o Comments, Forums, etc., as the main way for non editors
            to communicate.

       then most users adding comments will not be familiar with
       wiki editing convention.

       Most markup is unlikely to be entered accidentally by casual
       users.  The exception--indenting lines to start a paragraph.
       This has the predictable result of very long lines of "as is"
       text which can blow up skins in certain cases.

       Disabling "^ " markup works, of course, but then denies authors
       the use of a leading space to indent list text (a nice
       feature).

       What would be convenient would be an option to disable
       markup for eg., commentbox, commentboxplus etc., but allow
       it elsewhere.  Editors would still be able to edit comment
       text with markup, but the casual user would not be upset to
       see their words of wisdom formatted in an unexpected fashion.

       Apologies if this has been beaten to death elsewhere, I
       couldn't find any obvious references.

       Off topic:  I may have be the last to discover this, but for
       linux users, ies4linux really simplifies testing css changes in
       IE browsers.
       (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html)

Rgds,
Mike Bishop        907/495-5737                 mbishop at mtaonline.net