[pmwiki-users] css dir

Henrik Bechmann henrik.bechmann at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 13 13:17:36 CDT 2006

Patrick,

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I'm a little confused -- you say that the *skin's* css is being
> put into pub/css/Home.FrontPage.css ?  Why not have the skin's css
> in the skin directory, as opposed to using the per-page .css
> file in pub/css/ ?

My aim here is to conform to PmWiki standards and practices (and in the
process discover what they are<grin>). So I wanted to cluster the skin
files in the prescribed way, with a minimal amount of code in the template.

Indeed I had expected to find that if I put myskin.tmpl, myskin.php, and
myskin.css into a skin directory pub/skins/myskin, and set
$Skin='myskin', all the files would get picked up automatically. The
myskin.tmpl and myskin.php do, but myskin.css doesn't (version 2.1.26).

For one thing, the pub/skins/myskin/myskin.css option isn't mentioned in
the section "CSS Files: Controlling Page Style" at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SkinGuidelines.

Also, in my test environment, I tried these versions of the css file
names in (the farm) pub/skins/myskin/: myskin.css, local.css, skin.css,
and none of these get picked up automatically.

Placing MyGroup.MyPage.css in the field's pub/css/ directory is the only
configuration I could find that gets the skin file picked up automatically.

Of course I can do

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="$SkinDirUrl/homepage.css">

in the template, which is not a big problem (and what I've settled on
for now), just not what I expected, as the requirement for an explicit
link for the css file seems inconsistent with the auto-load of the other
two files.

So I may not be understanding your intent correctly here, or this may be
a little trap, in that if you change the code to automatically pick up
the css file, then there will probably be a lot of skins out there that
have the explicit link coded in the template, and end up getting two
links to the same css file.

Thoughts?

- Henrik

--