[pmwiki-users] Links to other server files

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Sep 11 17:16:32 CDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 04:46:06PM -0400, Don Johnson wrote:
>    We are just starting to populate our wiki with documentation, and would
>    like to reference policy and procedure documents that are maintained on
>    another server (like \\Server2\Vol1\Policy\policy1.doc). How do I code
>    this on our page, to allow us to click the link and open the document in
>    MS-Word?  Moving the files onto the wiki server is not an option for us.

You might be able to use file://Server2/Vol1/Policy/policy1.doc .
However, all of the browsers generally come with protections in place
that prevent the use of the file:// urls except for pages coming
from the local filesystem or from trusted zones.  So, you may need
to adjust security settings in the browser a bit.

Another possibility might be to have PmWiki access and return
the pages on the browser's behalf, assuming that the machine
running PmWiki has access to \\Server2\Vol1\Policy .

Accessing links to files from within http:// pages is just a bit
messy, no matter how one slices it.