[pmwiki-users] New Functional Syntax

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Fri Sep 8 16:10:10 CDT 2006

I've just been thinking about the idea thats being kicked around here of
adding a function syntax to variable displays. Something like:

  {(function1 args)(function2 args)$Name}

has been proposed. This works fine when the required result is based
upon a single instance of a single variable. How would we code the
equivalent of:

  instring($Name,1,pos($Name,'-'))

or

  toupper(concat(instring($Name,1,9),'-',date("%F",$Now)))

As well, earlier today I was thinking it would be very nice to be able
to do this:

  rege_replace($Name,/^(.*-)([^0-9]+)$/,concat($1,format("%02d",inc($2))))

To perform an evaluated regular-expression replace to change
'Chapter-01' into 'Chapter-02'. Methinks we're now on a very slippery
slope indeed!