[pmwiki-users] Wikipaths (was: PData support for pagelisting images)

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Fri Sep 8 05:56:23 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:57:25PM -0400, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
>>> How does (:includefieldpage:) get the page data from pages in other
>>> wikis?
>>>
>> I suppose the ideal solution to all this would be to have a field-based
>> context switching mechanism (defaulting to the current field), with some
>> way of assembling data from a variety of fields, and some core and
>> pervasive way of referencing a non-default field (like
>> Field::Group.Page). But that sounds like a pretty major design leap, and
>> if it's not what you intended for fields, then it obviously shouldn't be
>> done.
>
> It's not what I intended for fields, but with a couple of other
> changes coming up, I'm wondering if it might be not too difficult
> to add, or at least make easy to support in the core.  I'll keep it
> in mind; I can see how it would be useful.
>
> In some ways I'm starting to see a four-level structure...
>
>     Field:Group.Name#section
>
> where the "Group.Name" can be generalized to more levels if we ever
> come up with a hierarchical groups approach.

Assuming, from prior posts, that this new level for fields would require
a separate recipe to grab the external values for the other levels, then
  would it make sense to generalize this new level to support other
(non-PmWiki) external sources of data, with the idea that whenever this
level was specified, there would have to be some support provided
outside of the core?  (My thoughts, again, are on MySQL and a separate
recipe that converts a Database.Table.Record.Field into a virtual
Field:Group.Name#section.

Pico

P.S. I wrote a similar post last night that never appeared on the list
(and was not returned as undeliverable).  Odd.