[pmwiki-users] PData support for pagelisting images

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 7 17:00:48 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:44:43PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:
> > On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 05:52:54PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> [snip]
> > > Will "Attach:Test.SomePage/somepic.jpg" work, or would the link have to be
> > > reduced to "Attach:Test/somepic.jpg"?
> >
> > Short answer:  Attach:Test.SomePage/somepic.jpg will still work.
> >
> > Long answer:
> > Attachments are always attached to *pages*, never to groups.
> >
> So, does that have any significance for how we could (some day) deal with
> "orphaned" attachments.

Not really -- the attachment isn't *that* direct.  I guess it would
be more accurate for me to say that the Attach: markup always converts
to a pagename of some sort in order to find the attachment, as opposed
to looking directly at a group directory.

That said, there will likely be an orphan feature for attachments RSN.

> If attachments are always "attached to pages," does
> that mean that PmWiki already has some of the basic "plumbing" in place
> to use certain changes to pages to trigger corresponding changes
> to attachments?

No, not yet.  I haven't had a need for it yet.  But perhaps I
should go ahead and make an attachments= attribute in page files,
similar to the way we have targets= attributes now.

Essentially I'm expecting that we'll eventually have some way to
find attachments that aren't referenced by any pages.  How that
will work I haven't decided yet.