[pmwiki-users] PData support for pagelisting images

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 12:43:04 CDT 2006

--- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> One of the things that *greatly* concerns me about
> the {$:var} markup
> is that authors are going to get very confused by
> trying to put
> page variables in the values.
> It gets worse when we have a page called SomePage
> with:
>
>     FirstName: Patrick
>     LastName: Michaud
>     FullName: {$:FirstName} {$:LastName}
>
> because an author using {SomePage$:FullName} is
> going to expect the result to
> grab the FirstName and LastName values out of
> SomePage and not the current page.
>
> I've thought about it a fair bit, and I'm not sure I
> like any of the
> alternatives.  No matter what is chosen we're likely
> to come up with
> something that is very confusing to some.

I think that one solution to this would be the elusive

yet to be defined "this page" operator that has been
discussed many times on this list with reference to
page variables.  If this operator were say "==", this
dilema could be solved by this:

     FirstName: Patrick
     LastName: Michaud
     FullName: {==$:FirstName} {==$:LastName}

which no matter where it were referenced from
should be equivalent to:

     FirstName: Patrick
     LastName: Michaud
     FullName: {SomePage$:FirstName}