[pmwiki-users] MimeTex

Tom Backer Johnsen backer at psych.uib.no
Wed Sep 6 02:04:43 CDT 2006

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> Now that MimeTeX is working, you probably don't need to know about
>> latexrender, which does the same thing, but calls LaTeX to render the
>> equations, then saves them as .gif files. For an example, see
>>
>> http://www.wikipublisher.org/wiki/index.php?n=Wikipublisher.LatexEquations
>>
>> I tested both and my experience was that:
>>
>> - the latexrender equations looked better
>>
>> - some equations which MimeTeX rendered wouldn't render in LaTeX
>
> Given the recent security concerns, maybe I should mention that MimeTeX
> isn't exactly safe. I am *guessing* that latexrender is even less safe...
> (If it isn't, I want to switch :-)
>
> /Christian
>
> PS. One reason these recipes are unsafe is that LaTeX can be used to
> arbitrarily access files on your server, thus revealing sensitive
> information.

The safety aspect is not of primary concern to me, at least not in
this case, since the wiki's are not accessible to anybody but the
authors, which (I believe) are not interested in making trouble.

As to the statement that "some equations which MimeTeX rendered
wouldn't render in LaTeX", that may be a problem.  How big, I do not
know.  Our needs are very simple, elementary formulas in statistics.
So far MimeTex works well as far as I can see.

On the other hand, if the LatexRender equations look better, that is
definitely relevant.  In any case, it is nice to know that there are
alternatives.

Tom

| Tom Backer Johnsen, Psychometrics Unit,  Faculty of Psychology |
| University of Bergen, Christies gt. 12, N-5015 Bergen,  NORWAY |
| Tel : +47-5558-9185                        Fax : +47-5558-9879 |
| Email : backer at psych.uib.no    URL : http://www.galton.uib.no/ |