[pmwiki-users] About {$:var} text-variables

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 5 18:21:52 CDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 05:05:25PM +0000, J. Meijer wrote:
> So it is possible to name a section, with {#$var} being the special case. Here name is extracted from section 'name':
>
>   {#data$name}
>
> Which matches 'Patrick' in this page source:
>
>   [[#data]]
>   Name: Patrick
>   Version: 39
>   State: Texas
>   [[#dataend]]

Oh, so what you're saying is that besides being able to have
accessor-variables on a per-page basis, they would also be on a
per-section basis?  It sounds nice, but is it really needed?  I think it
would make things a lot harder to parse.

Would it still work for other-page access?  Like,
{GroupA.PageB#data$name}

> ! Clipboard alternatives
>
> Though I prefer the (not yet published updated) clipboard.php (Cookbook:Clipboard) syntax:

I don't, because I much prefer not having to add extra markup.
I *really* like the idea that the {$:var} stuff uses

        Name: Patrick
        Version: 39
        State: Texas

And also definition lists:

        :Name: Patrick
        :Version: 39
        :State: Texas

I like it because it's the way that one would naturally already put the
data, it doesn't need extra markup, which means that a lot of my
existing pages are already in the form that's needed for this.

And I do prefer the {$:var} markup.

Any idea when this would be available, PM?  (waits with bated breath)

Kathryn Andersen