[pmwiki-users] ZAP question

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Oct 29 17:54:45 CST 2006

On 10/29/06, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2006, at 2:01 PM, marc wrote:
>
> > Crisses said...

> >> I would use the snippets to create new functions in your recipes.  I
> >> wouldn't require the user to download something extra.
> >>
> >> It's a little hypocritical, in the case of reworking the database
> >> recipes to use ADODB, but ADODB is so flexible and generic to make it
> >> worthwhile, and re-writing it would be a huge undertaking.
> >
> > Crisses, I mentioned a while back that I had moved a few sites to
> > ADOdb
> > Lite. It has less functions than the full monster, but is faster and a
> > lot smaller - apparently, ADOdb is 700kb each page load these days. A
> > lot of ADOdb functions can be added by activating various modules - if
> > you don't need them, keep them inactive.
> >
> > It's a painless conversion, unless you have used some of the more
> > esoteric functions. I had used GetUpdateSQL in a few places, so had to
> > change these to SQL updates, but other than that, it was a straight
> > swap.
>
> My only point was that I was asking people to install a 3rd party
> plug-in, but telling Caveman he shouldn't do that....
>
> Crisses

Well, I'll look at both.  ZAP is already big enough, but I like the
thought of not having to require another download.  Pros/cons.  Thank
you, both of you for your input!

I think phpmailer does offers several other advantages that might make
the mail delivery more successful.  Also, if I'm going to do a
newsletter/mailing list system, I probably should have a good emailer
program.  So I kind of lean that way.  Also, might be easier as I
wouldn't really have to do any more coding, myself.

And I'm getting a bit tired of this development process.  Want to get
around more to actually using it!  Any other thoughts, anyone?

Cheers,
Caveman