[pmwiki-users] Newsletter throttling

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Oct 29 14:49:20 CST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 11:31 AM, The Editor wrote:

> Next, set cron (I don't really know anything about this, but I think
> you can use it to run a php script on a schedule?). Cron calls a
> separate php function that checks for any text files in the queue with
> a name less than 60 minutes old, retrieves the corresponding message,
> and mails it out. Then, it deletes that list and quits the function.

PmWiki doesn't require linux or crontab access to run.  It runs
sidetasks like sending out email announcements on the side when
people hit a page on the site.

I suggest you look at NotifyPosts, and hook your email sending
scripts to take advantage of the same mechanisms PmWiki already uses.

This means it would remain a viable program on any PHP platform.

> Any thoughts on how this would work?  If it sounds good, I think the
> only part I would need much help with is actually the cron, and how to
> run a function in php completely independent of PmWiki.  If I could
> somehow just set cron to every hour run a specific php function, that
> could probably do it.  The php doesn't seem too hard unless there's
> something I'm missing.

Cron is not something a normal user-admin (as opposed to linux admin)
would want to mess around with.  If people have CPanel/Plesk
interfaces it might include a nice gui for scheduling.  Not everyone
has that type of access -- so PmWiki needs to run with the assumption
that all people have is FTP access to their server.  And that's it.

Crisses