[pmwiki-users] Is it time for a pmwiki-devel list?

Christian Bartolomaeus bartolin at gmx.de
Fri Oct 27 12:28:27 CDT 2006

Hi list,

* On 2006-10-27 Patrick R. Michaud (pmichaud at pobox.com) wrote:
> [...]
> So, I'm wondering if we've finally reached the point where it's
> time to established a separate "pmwiki-devel" mailing list for
> some of these advanced discussions, so that pmwiki-users can
> become a little less intimidating for newcomers.

I vote in favor of a new "pmwiki-devel" list. IMHO for those of us who
are subscribed to this list for a longer time and who are used to deal
with high traffic on certain lists there is no problem with a unified
list. But I guess there are some people new to PmWiki who feel annoyed
by the sheer amount of traffic on this list, lately. And half of the
discussions are indeed quite technical.

> We would continue to have "pmwiki-users" for general questions
> and discussions concerning PmWiki.  I would also want to continue
> the philosophy that pmwiki-users be open to questions and discussions
> at all levels--including development-related items.
>
> In other words, my intent would not be to forbid development-related
> discussions from occuring the existing pmwiki-users mailing list,
> but to simply provide another forum where more advanced discussions
> may take place without intimidating or flooding the general
> population.  I'd want it to always be permissible to post a message
> on any topic to either pmwiki-users or pmwiki-devel, and if we
> think another forum would be better then we can redirect it.

I would appreciate such "openness" very much. If messages are
(promptly and politely) redirected to the "right" list, the main
disadvantage of two separate lists vanishes IMHO.

A really Bad Thing would be to bark at people who ask at the wrong
list. But -- given the friendly manners of all of you -- I'm quite
sure, that won't happen here.

Just my 2 cents

Christian