[pmwiki-users] Proposal: version control for cookbooks recipes

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Oct 25 11:55:21 CDT 2006

Crisses schrieb:
> While the right applet tool might make SVN as smart as a good sharp
> knife, and I've installed and attempted to use SVN (frankly, never
> really for programming -- it's a long story), I never find it easy
> nor intuitive to use. I always end up forgetting to add things
> manually (whether on the command line or in a contextual menu), and
> I'm not on Windows.

It's not 100% perfect on Windows either. TortoiseSVN could use some
improvements in the ergonomy (though it's pretty good actually).

> If I can SVN with a pure drag n drop interface, I would definitely
> consider it.

I'm not sure how things work on your platform.
On Windows, I have to remember to right-drag&drop files to make SVN
aware of the changes.
And I also have to remember to make SVN aware of new files, though it
will list those that I haven't tagged on every commit dialog so I can
easily see there's something that I forgot. (Auto-adding them, with a
reminder to recheck on the next commit, would be even better. As I said,
there's room for an improved ergonomy here.)

 > If you want me to try managing the actual SVN
> repository "tags" "branches" and "trunk" I'm going to turn into a
> kicking & screaming 5 year old.  No, really!

Ignore that tag&branch&trunk verbiage in the SVN docs. That's just
conventions to make the CVS crowd happy.
What's behind that is that you can simply create a copy of an entire
directory, and you won't pay the price in terms of increased repository
size because SVN will automatically delta-compress the new directory.
That's all.

The trunk/tag/branch stuff will come naturally as soon as you really
need it, but not a single day earlier. Don't bother about this stuff
until/unless you need it.

Regards,
Jo