[pmwiki-users] Rethinking passwords and authorization

Ryan R. Varick rvarick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 08:30:10 CDT 2006

I had to think about this before I saw the problem, but I agree that
it could introduce problems.  My suggestion would be to craft the UI
such that it makes expectations explicit.  I think Neil's idea has
potential.  Personally, I find the whole thing confusing and would
prefer to do away with prefixes altogether.  Boxes for each "level"
have several advantages:

1) Easily programmable - one box for non-AuthUser installations, three
for AuthUser-enabled sites.

2) Clear(er) UI - Authors no longer have to learn a syntax (simple
though it may appear) along with the PmWiki authentication system.
There's less chance for confusion, because the choices are clearly
defined.  Combined with header labels, I think it could be very
straightforward.

3) Parsing - Input is already neatly sorted into separate form fields.
 Frontent prefixes aren't needed, nor are quotes.  Commas are
sufficient to separate individual entries.

Overall, it seems like a good approach to me.  What are the downsides?

Ryan