[pmwiki-users] Hiearchical Groups Proposal.

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Oct 18 04:02:20 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> If GroupAttributes, GroupHeader, and GroupFooter become page metadata,
> that would seem to imply that we need a mechanism to be able to
> edit these metadata.  And presumably we should keep track of
> the history for these metadata items as well.

Ideally, metadata would be pages, possibly with a special marker in the
page name so PmWiki knows that they don't get meta-metadata.

Downside is that if that's done to the final consequence and page
attributes (passwords) become separate pages, too, then PmWiki would
have to open an additional file to check view permissions. It would also
have to do a directory search since the metadata may be stored several
levels up the hierarchy.
The wiki would have to have thousands of pages to make this a worry, of
course. *And* it would have to live in a file system that does linear
directory searches (i.e. it would have to be ext2fs, or ext3fs with no
-O dir_index.)

Regards,
Jo