[pmwiki-users] "Ghost Pages" in RecentChanges

Steve Glover steve at fell-services.net
Tue Oct 17 08:47:05 CDT 2006

In message <20061017130647.GB19459 at host.pmichaud.com>, Patrick R.
Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> writes
>On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 12:19:00PM +0100, Steve Glover wrote:
>> Is there any way, please, to stop deleted pages showing up in the
>> RecentChanges page?
>>
>> We had a page Documents.ConversionTools visible to all users of our site
>> that we replaced by Main.ConversionTools (visible only to logged-in
>> users). However, the Documents.RecentPages still shows ConversionTools
>> with a questionmark, and we'd really like it not to be visible at all.
>
>Did you mean Documents.RecentPages here, or Documents.RecentChanges?

Oops. Sorry - Documents.RecentChanges

>> Taking the extreme action of deleting the RecentPages page didn't help -
>> the ghost page still showed up on searches - and recreating the
>> RecentPages page not only didn't magically pick up the changes listed
>> before, but ended up formatting the subsequent changes into a very
>> narrow column....
>
>When you say "the ghost page still showed up on searches" --
>what exactly do you mean?  Do you mean that Documents.ConversionTools
>is still showing up in searches?

Yes, albeit as "Documents.ConversionTools?"

>How exactly was Documents.ConversionTools
>"deleted"?

By replacing the contents of the page with the word "delete".

Um, actually, no. Belay that. That's how I deleted it in one of the
three versions of the site - the one that's not having this problem. In
the other two, the file seems to have been deleted by using mv to put it
in the directory we keep the time-stamped deleted pages in. I moved it
back and deleted it 'properly' and it's no longer appearing in the
searches. It is, of course, now back in the RecentChanges page....

>Sorry for all the questions, for some reason this morning I'm having
>trouble parsing what's happening here.

No problem. Thinking through what's happening has helped me sort out
what was going on. On the other hand, I've now been asked if there's a
way we can stop "infrastructure" pages like Documents.GroupAttributes
showing up in the search or recently changed lists (All the other groups
like Main, Site, and PmWiki are hidden from the ordinary users because
they're not logged in)....

Thanks again,

Steve

--