[pmwiki-users] Hiearchical Groups Proposal.

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Fri Oct 13 22:45:42 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:56:28PM -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
>> I've finally gotten around to updating
>>
>>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/HierarchicalGroups-Proposals
>>
>> with my own proposal. I'm curious as to what people think.
>
> A couple of questions for this proposal.  (I'll probably have more,
> but these are the ones that jump out at me at the moment.)
>
>  - Where are group attributes stored?  Or do we simply say that
>    any passwords on a page automatically apply to all of its
>    subpages except where overridden by a subpage?
>
>  - How do we handle GroupHeader and GroupFooter?

I would like to say that any passwords on a page automatically apply to
all its subpages except where overridden, but I also don't want to break
working wikis where the attributes for SomeGroup are stored in
SomeGroup.GroupAttributes.

Ideally GroupAttributes, GroupHeader and GroupFooter would eventually be
migrated into the metadata for a page, and would apply to that page and
all its subpages. During the transition though, we would probably say
that any page named GroupAttributes, GroupHeader or GroupFooter would
have its contents applied to its parent page and all its children,
except where overridden in a subpage.

This would mean that when displaying the page at ^.Foo.Bar.Baz, it would
be necessary to look for ^.Foo.Bar.Group*, ^.Foo.Group* and ^.Group* to
know what headers, footers, and passwords applied.