[pmwiki-users] HTML entities

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 11 19:58:20 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 08:12:17PM -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> Hannes Korte wrote:
>
> > That looks interesting as well, I'll have a look at it. But isn't there
> > a way to add a custom function to the functions that process the content
> > whenever action=browse is requested?
>
> Certainly, and it wouldn't be very difficult to write, but it would mean
> the replacement work would be happening as the page was being displayed,
> not just once as it was saved.

This is exactly the question to be answered -- does Hannes
want non-ASCII characters converted to character entities
when the page is saved, or to be left alone in the markup
and converted when the page is output?

Looking at it from an editing perspective, I know that I prefer
to see the markup with the actual characters and not the character
entities -- easier to read and edit.  But that's just me.

PHP has a built-in "htmlentities" function that is supposed to
be able to convert characters into their character entity
equivalents -- this could make everything fairly simple (either
as a markup rule for ?action=browse or as a $ROSPattern).