[pmwiki-users] Spam status and suggestion for PmWiki.org

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Oct 10 09:16:10 CDT 2006

Lots of spam today and earlier this weekend, most of it points back to
blogshot.nl with different IPs and different topics (today was
Halloween, I foget what the earlier topic was, but I recognized the
domain and the target pages are the same).  So this time I added the
domain as a word: "blogshot.nl"

1. Can partial domain names be entered as blcoked words, or will the be
ignored when they appear as part of a longer string?  Any suggestions
for the best way to make use of the fact that the same domain is being
used repeatedly for different spam attacks?

2. The password protection on Site/Blocklist has been removed.
Shouldn't it be password protected?

3. The fact that this spammer keeps comming back to hit the same pages,
including some that never existed before they were spammed, makes me
think that it might be interesting to keep some of these pages as
honeypots that would trigger an automated blocklist.  Maybe instead of
deleting the page by replacing the text with the word "delete" we could
replace the text with "honeypot" or something like that.  It might be
nice if those pages displayed a warning to human authors that this page
is a honeypot and if you edit it you will be automatically blocklisted.
The spam bots wouldn't notice the warning and would just add their spam
and when they saved it would trigger a routine that grabbs their info,
adds it to the blocklist, and restores the page.

Pico