[pmwiki-users] Disabled wikiword is still spaced, even though it's disabled

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 5 20:41:08 CDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 11:27:47AM +1000, Matt Doran wrote:
>    I recently upgraded from PmWiki V1 to V2 (2.1.26).  We have
>    "$SpaceWikiWords = 1" and we've found that even though we've disabled a
>    wiki word  using:
>
>      $WikiWordCount['WikiWord'] = 0;
>
>    The word still is spaced.  e.g. Wiki Word

$WikiWordCount[] is simply intended to control the number of times
a wikiword is converted into a link, it doesn't change the way
that the wikiword is displayed (including spacing).

>    I found this issue (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00327), that describes
>    exactly what's happening to us, but it says this was resolved in
>    2.0.beta30.    Maybe there's been a regression?

No, the note in PITS is wrong.  What was actually fixed in 2.0.beta30
was that setting $LinkWikiWords = 0; (i.e., disabling all wikiwords)
would turn off spacing of wikiwords.

One can disable specific wikiwords in markup by preceding the word
with a backtick (i.e., `WikiWord).  If you need something to prevent
certain words from being spaced or treated as wikiwords at all,
I can come up with some examples.