[pmwiki-users] deprecating PCache (Was: Re: PageLists of database contents)

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 14:00:44 CDT 2006

On 10/5/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:42:03AM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
> > On 10/5/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >I don't think I'll do this for 2.2.  PageStores need to be
> > >substantially redesigned anyway to handle non-ASCII
> > >characters in filenames, and case-insensitive pagnames
> > >on case-sensitive filesystems, and spaces in pagenames,
> > >and a bunch of other things that need addressing.
> > >So, if changing PCache and search are going to require
> > >substantial modifications to PageStore, it'll probably
> > >have to wait for 2.3 ...
> > >
> > >Besides, a deprecation cycle for $PCache would give
> > >recipes an opportunity to migrate away from using
> > >it before making a switch.
> >
> > Then, I would suggest that you could easily provide a kind of API to
> > allow (core and) recipes to maintain page related information during
> > the parsing instead of directly using $PCache for that -- in the same
> > way you already designed the ParseArgs() function.
>
> It's not "easily provide" because a good API is likely to
> depend somewhat heavily on the PageStore redesign itself,
> which is the part I'm hoping to avoid for 2.2.
>
> Or, I could just state it this way for 2.2:  $PCache is
> deprecated, so recipe authors should stick to using the
> existing ReadPage/WritePage interface and not make use of
> $PCache.  If there's something in PmWiki for which that's
> not possible, contact me and we'll figure out how to make
> it possible.

As a recipe author, I was just used to find $Pcache a convenient way
to store page related temporary data, avoiding to maintain my own
cache via recipe dedicated static variables or hidden globals (I'm
talking for example, about the way I build the "Get code" link in the
SourceBlock recipe). Anyway, I could easily make my recipe rely on
their own storage when needed.

Dom