[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 13:25:07 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 02:10:54PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> >>   I would recommend that the email address that posts go to NEVER
> >>be put on
> >>   a web page.  Otherwise you'll have a lot of spam in the wiki from
> >>   spammail.
> >
> >This is also an advantage of using the delimiters -- even if the
> >account gets spam it's unlikely that the spam would contain (:post:)
> >directives, so the content would be ignored.
>
> I disagree.
>
> Wiki spammers will catch on.  If they aren't reading the lists.

Oh, the standard blocklist filters should still apply to
whatever is being posted, same as any other contributed
content.  I wasn't thinking of wikispammers in particular, I
was thinking about the case where generic mail spam was being
sent to the gateway address.

> >One interesting approach that could make things "push based"
> >might be for pmwiki.org (and/or others) to offer a generic
> >mail-to-wiki gateway service for PmWiki sites.  Such a service
> >would scan incoming mail for wiki posts, and then use standard
> >HTTP calls to post the content to the appropriate wikis.
> That sounds like the voice of a volunteer!
>
> My approach has the benefit of being pretty darned easy to implement. ;)
> A centralized wiki push server is beyond the scope I was
> considering.

Really? I actually think that implementing the wiki push server
is a lot simpler -- I think a simple version could be put together
in a day or so.  It's easier because it really doesn't have to
integrate with pmwiki.php at all -- it just uses the standard
web interface.

But I see benefits to both, so we should just do both.  :-)

> >Something that I have found that works very nicely is to have
> >things happen
> >at the *end* of page processing by using PHP's
> >'register_shutdown_function'.
>
> Then that's where this needs to be. :)  Any documentation? Hints on
> how to use the hook?

   - http://www.php.net/register_shutdown_function
   - scripts/notify.php in the PmWiki distribution