[pmwiki-users] Idea for section edit (Was: Selecting a Wiki engine...)

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Wed Oct 4 07:16:36 CDT 2006

Ben Wilson said...
> On 10/3/06, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
> <christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > > I'm still looking at section-based editing; but we do already have the
> > > SectionEdit recipe.  (I don't know how well that recipe plays with
> > > 2.2.x, but it does exist.)
> >

> [truncate suggestion to put edit link in TOC]
>
> [snip example]
>
> > Yet another alternative could be to have a drop-down list next to the edit
> > button which allows you to select which section to edit? Hmm... I kind of
> > like this last alternative.

I don't. But, a usual, it could always be an option. Note that it would
be a pain for long pages to have to identify a section to edit, then go
to the top of page to edit it. In the case of a book, with chapters,
sections, and so on, it would be a showstopper.

> I prefer the [edit] floating to the side of the section being edited.
> If I'm not mistaken, this is pretty much a standard among
> section-editing wikis.

Yup, the way the section edit recipe does it is fine by me.

> Naturally, such edit options would be neatly
> encased in a (:if auth edit:) block so they are only available when
> the viewer can edit.

Section edit simple doesn't generate the HTML. And to remove them from
display regardless of edit permissions, there's the nosections
directive.

It's a neat recipe.

--
Best,