[pmwiki-users] $BaseName (was Re: pmwiki-2.2.0-beta9 release (bugfix, pagevar filters in pagelists))

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Oct 3 09:38:28 CDT 2006

On Oct 3, 2006, at 8:49 AM, The Editor wrote:

> On 10/3/06, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
>> the variable reference {{=$BaseName}$Group} becomes {Simile.XYZ
>> $Group} -- in other words "Return the $Group variable from the base
>> page".  which is "Simile"
>
> Crisses, where did you discover this?  Is it documented?  It is pretty
> neat.  Can you also do {{=$BaseName}$Name}?

Discovered via use.  I needed this functionality to create custom
pagelists, and through getting them right & wrong got it right
eventually.

Yes -- you can grab the variables from the base page -- including
$Name -- using this.

Better yet you can grab custom variables the same way.

if the page has:

State: NY

You would be able to get NY by:

{{=$BaseName}$:State}

so you can search for data held on the Data-Group.Page
but return data on the
Group.Page

Got it?

But it wasn't made specifically for FASTData.  It was made to go
along with the custom page variables and the recognition that data
about something isn't always on the same page you want returned from
your searches.  This is especially true of related groups and
(:include:)s, both of which are in -- or about to be in -- the core
of PmWiki.

Translating FASTData to use the {$:var} -- ie the colon related
markup -- is instrumental to FASTData being able to use this feature
without needing to patch PmWiki for compatibility.

I need to figure out why my data pages aren't working from FASTData
now....since things have changed in both the core, and custom markup
I've added myself.  I may need to discuss the problems I'm having
with you, but I need to be sure it's a problem first.

Crisses