[pmwiki-users] How To Help Fight Spam on PmWiki.org

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de
Mon Oct 2 07:48:29 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 01:30:58PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> As far as dealing with dynamic IPs; I'm not too concerned yet
> about the difference between IPs at the /24 netmask level.
> I.e., if someone at 24.1.26.127 posts spam to the board, then
> it's fine for now to go ahead and block everyone at 24.1.26.* .
> As far as I know it hasn't posed a real problem in terms of
> blocking legitimate posters, and if it does we'll deal with
> it then.

You might even hit all users of a proxy when adding just a simple IP not
mentioning a /24 block.

I'm usually against punishing many if one does stupid things.

IMHO the first countermeasure should be to use the spamvertised domain
to block those bastards - perhaps even adding those to some of the
external blocklists?

     Balu
PS: While playing around with my new wiki I thought of adding some
unprotected honeypot-area to collect those domains.