[pmwiki-users] Concern about insert vs edit (was:Re: PmWiki Magazine proposed Submission/Approval Process)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sun Oct 1 21:53:35 CDT 2006

At 2006-10-01  02:59 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>Essentially, PmWiki's core permission levels will be read, edit,
>insert (comment), upload, attr, and admin.
>   - anyone with admin permission can do anything
>   - if a page doesn't have an edit password, it uses the read password
>   - if a page doesn't have an insert password, it uses the edit password
>   - if a page doesn't have an attr password, it uses the edit password
>
>It might look to many that this has "insert" and "edit" backwards --
>i.e., that "edit should be a higher level than insert".  But I think
>this is contrary to what authors will expect.  If as a page author
>I put an edit password on a page, I don't expect people to be able
>to later sneak content into the page by using ?action=insert or
>?action=comment.

If I read the above correctly, it is exactly the opposite to what I
would want to have on all of my wikis.

Rather than try to re-use the edit/insert language (which is new to
me - been away), I would like (need!) to have:

1) Anyone able to read a page, unless it requires a read password.
2) Anyone able to comment on a page (as with commentboxplus), unless
it requires a "comment" password.
3) Anyone able to edit a page, unless it requires an edit password.

I (and my authors) see commenting as a lesser privilege than full
editing. With full editing, the edits are invisible unless you look
at the history, while with commenting, the edits are immediately
visible. Comments also tend to form in conversational style with one
person commenting on previous posts.

What we sometimes do is allow comments to accumulate until they reach
a certain size, at which point an editor combines them into an
addition to the original article.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/