[pmwiki-users] PmWiki Magazine proposed Submission/Approval Process

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Oct 1 14:40:43 CDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 02:50:32PM -0400, Crisses wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Ben Wilson wrote:
>
> >On 10/1/06, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
> >>requests for online publication using PmWiki.
> >>Why not just have an "@authors" group and set edit permissions on -
> >>Drafts to
> >>"@authors"
> >>
> >>I'm not understanding why you're talking about another
> >>authentication level.
> >
> >-Drafts is a rather new thing for me, so I've not looked much at the
> >practical use as yet.
>
> Considering that the -Drafts page is a page, though, if it were a
> group or page it could have its own permissions:
> [...snip...]

Somehow I think all of this discussion of handling drafts is
just over-engineering the solution.

The default can be that pages (both articles and drafts) are left
open for editing by anyone, and if an article author doesn't want
other people modifying the page, he/she simply sets an 'edit'
password on it.  Why require automatic setting of permissions?

> >I gathered that 'comments' would have an intermediate permission
> >between read and edit so as to allow the administrator/editor to
> >determine who could make comments.
>
> I thought either these are in a separate group and optionally
> (:include:)'d in the current page -- if it's going straight from form
> to being embedded in the current page then yes, they need some type
> of permissions.

This again ought to be entirely up to the author.  If the author
wants to accept comments she will put a (:commentbox:) directive
in the page, if the author wants the comments to appear on a
different page she will arrange the comments to be added to a
-Talk page, if the comments need some sort of permissions,
she can set them.

I don't think we need pmwiki.org enforcing a particular permissions
model on its authors for the Magazine.  If I'm wrong about that, we
can change it, but I'd rather leave it up to the authors to decide
how each article is best handled.