[pmwiki-users] (? for PM?) Re: Overview over all passwords

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Oct 1 12:53:50 CDT 2006

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 12:44:11PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
> >>1) which is the active one?  which are redundant? -- i.e. order of
> >>precedence
> >
> >Page passwords override group passwords, which override site-wide
> >passwords.
>
> Makes sense...
>
> Is the only way to set site-wide to use config files?

Yes.  In fact, the only reliable way to set site-wide permissions
is to do so in either local/config.php or farmconfig.php; setting
$DefaultPasswords in a per-group or per-page configuration file
will sometimes not work (especially for read permissions).

> >>2) how to display multiple settings per page/group -- since you can
> >>define the passwords in several ways.
> >
> >I don't quite understand this one.
>
> MyGroup/MyPage has a per-page password.  I want to clear the
> passwords on it, make it open, but MyGroup has a password.  If the
> listing only shows that it's passworded per-page, I may "clear" the
> page password, but that won't change it so that people can edit it.
> If the listing makes it clear that MyPage is also protected by the
> group...such as: [...]

Well, as described in your previous message the "MyGroup" group
would show that all of its pages are protected by an edit password,
so I don't know that we need a separate indication of this on
the page itself.

> Is there a way to set MyGroup and UNset the password on one page --
> "All pages in this group are passworded -- *except* MyPage"

Yes, use "@nopass" as the password on MyPage to indicate that
no password is required for this page.