[pmwiki-users] Video Player

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Oct 1 07:39:48 CDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 8:26 AM, Mark Trumpold wrote:
> Thanks

You're welcome :)
> I am sure it is not pmwikis fault but how can I get around it.
>
> Yes it is because of an active session

Hrm.  That certainly makes it difficult.  You may have to point to
the entire BBC page not the actual video itself.  Maybe.

> The content is good for my class. The videos are found on a search
> page but
> that will change as time goes by and so it may not show on the page
> therefore I don't want to include the search as external link.
>
> Interesting though you can download the video

The problem isn't whether or not one can download or even access the
video on your own site.  The problem is that if you do so, you may be
in violation of copyrights (or the equivalent in the UK).  Playing or
viewing someone else's photos/movies on your own website is
considered both bad netiquette but may be considered theft of
bandwidth.  So my recommendation is that first you check out what
your rights to the materials are.  Second, if they DO allow you to
freely distribute the video, figure out how to embed the video in
PmWiki -- realplayer should be about as easy as flash/quicktime/
windows media player.  The Real website should give references or the
code you need, then you can bring the info to the page maintainer on
the video tips, or apply what you learned to the video tips already
given (and add them to the documentation once you have it working --
if you like :) ).

> Is there a recipe for realplayer? Only found windows and QuickTime.
> Can we get around the bbcs video set up?

I never even used the PmWiki video recipes -- not my area of
expertise, I'm afraid. :/  I could do it but I'm too busy reading and
writing on the Users list ;)  (actually I'm cleaning the office and
thinking about databases and shopping carts...)

Crisses