[pmwiki-users] A standard way to set the html-header "title"

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Thu Nov 23 15:30:02 CST 2006

Lucian Wischik wrote:
> In a future version of PmWiki, I'd like to see a standard way to set the
>
> At the moment this seems hard-coded by each individual skin. For instance,
> the pmwiki skin has
>   <title>$WikiTitle | {$Group} / {$Title} $ActionTitle</title>
> and the print skin has
>   <title>$WikiTitle | {$Group} / {$Title}</title>
>
> But the way I see it, the html-header title is a vital part of the page's
> meta-information that determines how it will appear in google (for instance),
> So you should be able to customize it in the same way you customize the
> other meta-headers, and not have it subject to the whims of the skin-designer:
>   (:htmltitle Lucian Wischik:)
>   (:keywords Lucian, Wischik, homepage, galactic emperor:)
>   (:description The homepage of Lucian Wischik:)

I agree completely, I modified my copy of the Triad skin so that it just had

  $WikiTitleFmt

instead of the default <title>...</title> in the skin and put this into the
skin.php:

  $FmtPV['$WikiTitle'] = '$GLOBALS["WikiTitle"]';
  $FmtPV['$WikiTitleFmt'] = '$GLOBALS["WikiTitleFmt"]';

  SDV($WikiTitleFmt,"<title>\$WikiTitle - \$Group - \$Title</title>");

That way each time I use this skin, I can change what format a title has.