[pmwiki-users] Categories on pmwiki.org

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Nov 11 10:46:57 CST 2006

Hans wrote:
> PmWiki does now generate category pages automatically on pmwiki.org.
> The result is a swelling of the Category group by test pages creating
> categories. I wonder how we can filter more genuine "official"
> category pages from this group, so a meaningful list of all categories
> can be given on Category.Category. One simple way would be to insert
> on each "official" category page some tag text we can then use as a
> filter for the pagelist. Many (not all) of these page shave some
> text at the top explaining the category. Maybe that could be enough
> for filtering, i.e. not showing links to empty pages?
>
> Also we lack a tool to remove empty category pages with links to
> non-existing pages. So it would be good to list them.
> I suppose one can look for orphaned pages.
>
> Or is this all too much, and we can b econtent to live with
> Cookbook.Cookbook-ByCategory, which just lists meaningful categories?

I seem to recall that Category links being removed from PmWiki pages
when Pm reviews changes for incorporation into distributions (because of
the overhead, I believe).  If so, then it seems that Cookbook pages
might be the only area in PmWiki.org where categories are really
embraced (assuming that the use of categories on test and other pages
are not intended to be retained).

Pico

--

         __  /