[pmwiki-users] troubleshooting warning errors - session_write_close()

Lars Oestreicher larsoe at dis.uu.se
Tue Nov 7 04:31:40 CST 2006

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 03:23:04AM +0100, Lars Oestreicher wrote:
>> Dear pmwiki fellows...
>>
>> I have a pmWiki site which has been working nicely, up until this
>> weekend. However, I just encountered the same errors that were
>> noted by
>> Miriam H. The following error messages appear on top of the site.
>>
>> *Warning*: session_write_close():
>> open(/data/session/f/f/sess_ff050fcf93b565ce4947c5faef0ac1ee, O_RDWR)
>> failed: Permission denied (13) in
>> */data/members/paid/h/c/hcieducation.com/htdocs/www/pmwiki.php* on
>> line
>> *1722*
>
> This generally indicates that the webserver no longer has write
> permission to the appropriate directory (/data/session in this case).
> Usually that means that a server administrator has changed a
> configuration
> or otherwise changed file permissions such that PHP is no longer
> working properly.
>
> At any rate, it's not really a PmWiki error, nor does it involve
> wiki.d.  You could try setting up a special directory for
> sessions, by adding the following to the beginning of local/
> config.php:
>
>     mkdirp('session.d');
>     session_save_path('session.d');
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Pm

Thanks for your  answer, it definitely seems to have pinpointed the
problem. I created a session.d directory, and set the
session_save_path as you proposed, and it seems to have solved the
problem. (However, I had to create the directory manually, since the
mkdirp-command generated an error message, but that was no serious
problem).

When I searched the web for the solution to this issue, prior to
mailing the list, I found several sites that displayed the very same
error message. Might it be a good thing to include this solution in
the sample-config as a commented out line? Even if it is not the
fault of the pmWiki, I think it would be a great help, since it seems
to happen occasionally, and it is a tricky error to debug.

Thanks again,

/Lars