[pmwiki-users] How can I read password protect all pages in a group except the HomePage?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Nov 6 15:07:36 CST 2006

On 11/6/06, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > How can I read password protect all pages in a group except the HomePage?
>
> First, set a read password for the group using a GroupName.php that
> looks like this:
>
>    <?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
>    $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('your_secret_password');

Actually, this method won't work -- setting $DefaultPasswords['read']
in a per-group or per-page configuration file does not reliably
read-protect pages in that group or page.  In particular, an author
can use (:include:) or other directives to read pages that have
their passwords "set" in this manner.  (Group.php files are only
read when browsing a page in that group, but (:include:) will work
across groups without activating the corresponding Group.php .)

The only reliable way to set a read password on a group is to
use ?action=attr on the GroupAttributes page.