[pmwiki-users] How can I read password protect all pages in a group except the HomePage?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 13:13:45 CST 2006

On 11/6/06, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> > How can I read password protect all pages in a group except the HomePage?
>
> Here's one way:
>
> First, set a read password for the group using a GroupName.php that
> looks like this:
>
>    <?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
>    $DefaultPasswords['read'] = crypt('your_secret_password');

Why would you do this instead of using
Groupname/GroupAttributes?action=attr to set the read-access?

They look to me as if they'd have the same result, except that the
first way requires server-side access while the GroupAttributes method
allows the control to be set within the wiki.  Is this true, or would
there be a difference that I'm not seeing?  What would the advantage
be of the former method?