[pmwiki-users] Importing from Word Documents?

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Fri Nov 3 17:49:31 CST 2006

Nicholas Buttle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a clever way of importing word documents that
> will bring in tables that are in the word .doc file?
>
> TIA
>
> Nicholas

> Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited
> (http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited)

Yep. Bit convoluted, but it should work.

1. Make copy of file and work on that. (Yep, the CYA statement.)

2. In Word, get rid of everything but the table you want to work on. If
the table is huge, split it. I don't trust Word not to hang with long ones.

3. Select the table, or at least put cursor in it. In Word's menu: Table
/ Convert / TableToText. It will ask you what to separate the text with.
Choose any character not in the table.

3. SaveAs txt .

4. Open new txt file in a text editor with a good search and replace.
Search for the separation character and replace it with the double pipes
for PmWiki code.

5. Copy the result into the PmWiki edit window.

Done!

I'm not sure step 2 is necessary, but it's safer.

Sandy