[pmwiki-users] Comments pages vs Discuss pages on pmwiki.org and/or in distro

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed May 31 10:12:03 CDT 2006

At 2006-05-31  09:27 AM -0500, Tegan Dowling is rumored to have said:
>(:if exists {$Name}-Talk:)There is also a [[{$Name}-Talk |
>discussion]] page used during the development of this {$Titlespaced}
>page.(:ifend:)
>
>Whaddaya think?

My first thought was - hey! I like standards and this looks like a
good spot to use them.

But my second thought was, perhaps the author of the Widgets page
would like some comments to appear on Widget-comments while the
StandardCommentName author might like people to discuss the pros and
cons of his proposal on StandardCommentName-comments. Neither one
precludes the other and the source page will always have a link to
the comment/discuss/talk page (if the author is awake when posting ;-).

The only reason I have left for a standard suffix is if you wanted to
do a pagelist of *-comments or *-talk, and I can't think of any use
for such a list other than to show the volume of discussion.

So I think its a great idea but we don't really need it on pmwiki.org.

If memory serves me well, I used to have a GroupHeader something like:

         Post your comments on this page at [[{$Name}-comments]]

which I later expanded to do an if test for existence (start the
comments/add to comments). I have since abandoned that markup for the
commentboxstyled recipe which puts the comments at the foot of the
page in question. It allows people who do not have edit permission to
leave comments.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/