[pmwiki-users] WikiTerms

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue May 30 13:14:21 CDT 2006

I am trying to think through a broad proposal for a system that would make it easier to define, maintain and reference common terms, including terms that contain special characters, such as "(:markup:)"

I started a page called PmWiki/WikiTerms-Proposal to distill my thinking about this proposal and to encourage input from others, particularly those of you who have the institutional knowledge of what goes on under the hood of PmWiki and in well established recipes.

At this point, I could really use some feedback about the overall scope and direction, for example, whether certain features seem feasible or whether they raise fundamental hurdles.  As is often the case, many of the things that are being discussed on the list seem to have potential relevance to my thinking, for example, discussions about improving search results, pagelists, and subpages.  If we can sort out the basic directiion and format of the markup, I think the search improvements (for defined terms) will fall into place, using a variation of Pm's FAQ pagelist combined with a specialized search that supplies parameters to target the distributed documentation and defined terms, which could be provided through searchboxes on certain pages, if not through the standard search box, by selecting specialty search options, or suplying search terms such as "define:term" (used by Google).

Pico