[pmwiki-users] Making a domain name a wiki page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun May 28 09:25:39 CDT 2006

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 02:50:10PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Or we could stop using '.' [1] to separate the group and the page?
> [...]
> I now argue that links to other groups, where you *don't* want the name of
> the group to be shown, are not so frequent that we need to distinguish
> between '.' and '/' for this purpose.

I'm don't think I can accept the frequency argument on its face -- it
depends greatly on the site organization.  The whole reason I created the '/'
versus '.' distinction was because I had a large number of links to pages
in other groups where I wanted the group name to be suppressed.  As just
one basic example, most of my SideBar links use the slash to suppress
the group (but '/' was introduced long before we had sidebars).

> So what if we now made things *simpler* [2] by removing the use of '.'
> between group and page name, and only let these alternatives remain:
> [...]

It's not just the linking syntax, we also have to see if this affects
the way pages are stored on disk (where '.' is used to delimit groups
in pagenames), and understand what impacts it might have on the

This isn't to say it can't be done, only that it's a non-trivial
change, and has a strong potential to break a lot of sites.

I'm presuming that we wouldn't allow dots in group names, just
page names?