[pmwiki-users] creating a page the easy way (patch included)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 25 17:37:16 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:52:31PM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> > On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:37:32AM -0700, Jo Rhett wrote:
> > > Perhaps, but that's a lot of code for such a simple thing.  And my patch
> > > was much more general.
> > >
> > > I am wondering why the wiki doesn't support the syntax I proposed --
> > > putting the group name and page name in separate variables.  There are
> > > other things that could be possible with this syntax.
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 03:43:31PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > It can always be done as a local customization.
>
> And it has been ;-)  But I was wondering why this wasn't supposed in
> general?

To be honest, in four years it has never come up.  For the most
part we've always dealt in absolute page names, never needing to
request a page by the segregated components of its name.  And
since we haven't needed it, PmWikiPhilosophy #3 applies... :-)

> Is there a reason for this?  Would you accept a patch that
> provided the group name and page name as separate vars.  Why, why not?

I probably would accept it, but I think the group name should only
be considered when the pagename doesn't already provide a group.
For example,

    ?pagename=HomePage&groupname=Main           # Main.HomePage
    ?pagename=Main.WikiSandbox&groupname=Main   # Main.WikiSandbox,
                                                # *not* Main.Main.WikiSandbox
    ?pagename=PmWiki.PmWiki&groupname=Main      # PmWiki.PmWiki

Also, the "?pagename=" parameter is supported primarily for
backwards compatibility with older (pre-2.0) versions of PmWiki
and recipes (and bookmarked links), the preferred form is "?n=".
Thus if I were to adopt this I'd probably use "g=" instead of the
longer "groupname=":

    ?n=HomePage&g=Main