[pmwiki-users] preformatted text block *with* formatting? (bug in [ <at> .. <at> ] ?)

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed May 24 13:25:46 CDT 2006

Pico, thanks for helping me but why do you keep referring me back to
documentation that I refer to when I write my messages?

You're also ignoring every single one of my points:

1. My original report that BasicEdit is misleading

2. And my arguement that making [@ the same as [= isn't useful.  It would
be more useful to have a preformatted text block than to have two tags
which do pretty much exactly the same thing.

I'll add a third issue that "a leading space before a tag is stupid".  I
gave up on dokuwiki for exactly this reason.  Add a space or remove a space
and it becomes a completely different meaning.  Now it's more complex than
HTML, not less.

It would be more useful to have [@, [= be distinct and clear, and maybe [@=
as a combined tag if you really want combined meanings.

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 05:40:29PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> Jo Rhett <jrhett <at> svcolo.com> writes:
>

> > Okay, so reading the BasicEditing documentation it's pretty easy to assume
> > that because these two are in the same box, their effect is the same, but
> > one is for lines, and one is for blocks

> > This is a             [ <at> This is a
> >   preformatted            preformatted
> >     text block              text block <at> ]
> >
> > However, the following two statements render differently.

> > [ <at> The following word should be in ''italics'' <at> ] (is not...)
> >
> > It would appear that [ <at> ... <at> ] also assumes [=...=].  This isn't
> documented
> > clearly.
> >
> > It also presents problems for creating documentation, where variables and
> > such are italicized.  I need to do large blocks of text like so
> >
> > [ <at>
> > $ run this command
> > ''see this italicized output''
> > $ run this command
> > see this 'italicized word'' in a larger output
> > see this clickable http://link/to/somewhere in the output
> > $ run this command with an ''italicized word'' in the middle
> > see this normal output
> >  <at> ]
> >
> > I really need the ability to get a monospaced font over a large block of
> > text *but with normal pmwiki formatting*.   How can I do this?

>  If you
> > want monospaced font *and* no formatting, you can do this
> >
> > [ <at>  [= ... =]  <at> ]
> >
> > It's also A LOT more flexible than the current situation.
> >

> @@ simply changes the typeface.
> [= escapes the markup, but *not* the word wrap
> to escape the word wrap, you have to add a space before the [= escape
> [@ escapes the markup and word wrap, for convenience.
>
> Take a look at the TextFormattingRules documentation:
>
> http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/TextFormattingRules#EscapeSequence and
> http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/TextFormattingRules#Emphasis (for @@)
>
> Pico

Jo Rhett