[pmwiki-users] pagelist is creating links relative to the current group?

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Wed May 24 11:25:55 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 07:01:15AM -0400, Pico wrote:
> > Sounds like the groups that are giving your problems may not have
> > default home pages, i.e. Group.Group or Group.Home, which is an issue
> > that is described in PITS/00736.  Take a look at that page and add your
> > vote for the priority.
>
> This has been a long-standing problem that I'd like to solve.

[snip]

> Does anyone have an idea about how PmWiki can select an appropriate
> name for the group home when no default page exists for the group?
> Should we just say that PmWiki always defaults to "XYZ.XYZ" in
> this case, or ... ?

The first question is whether a link to a group without a default homepage
should be trying to change the group, by prompting the user to create a home
page where none existed.  One alternative would be to have such links generate
something like a pagelist (or searchresults) of the group.

> ----
>
> An alternate approach:  Another approach would be to add a {$GroupUrl}
> page variable that references the group home url, analogous to
> the existing {$PageUrl}.  The advantage of this approach is that
> it works regardless of the name used for group home pages.  The
> disadvantages are that it will render as an external link instead
> of a page link (i.e., like an InterMap or http: link), and will
> have the same look even if the target default page doesn't exist.
> For the PmWiki skin this isn't a big difference, but for other
> skins it could be somewhat confusing.

What would such a page variable work when there is no default home page?
Wouldit still prompt the user to create a home page with a particular
naming convention?

Is that what you did to get Hagan's example to work on PITS/00736?

Pico