[pmwiki-users] More Better Documentation . . .

Bellave Jayaram bellavejayaram at cox.net
Wed May 24 01:20:55 CDT 2006

John Rankin wrote:

> > I can take a shot at this over the next few days -- I agree
> with the
> > comments that the software has raced ahead of the documentation and
> > it's a good time for a breather so the documentation can catch up.
> >
> > Some thoughts:
> >
> > - everything on the current page is interesting and useful, but...
> >
> > - if this is a link from the home page, then readers are perhaps
> >   more interested in *benefits* than in features (WIIFM? [1])
> >
> > - a page structure that's person-centric rather than pmwiki-centric
> >   could be more informative and persuasive
> >
> > - I envisage several "personas", setting out the kinds of things
> >   they want to do and how pmwiki makes it easy for them [2]
> >
> > - it will probably turn into several linked pages, with enough
> >   of a teaser on the introductory page that different audiences
> >   will follow a link to a page that is particularly relevant to
> >   their needs (eg writers, readers, administrators)
> >
> > - for the introductory page, shorter is better (it shouldn't
> >   try to cover everything) -- the approach I used for the
> >   EditGettingStarted (IntroductionToMarkup) page
> >
> > First question: who are the target audiences for the PmWikiFeatures
> > page?
> >
> > --
> > JR
> > --
> > John Rankin
> >
> > [1] What's in it for me?
> >
> > [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personas

Sort of related - I have started working on an OWL ontology
that could address better documentation, cross referencing
and faceted search. You can find a first version of it here -
http://scaffoldtech.net/owlontologies/CMS/PmWiki/pmwikikb.
The idea is to use this ontology to classify content and
build a knowledge base on which one can run SPARQL[1] queries
using the RDF API for PHP[2]. This ontology can be loaded
into Protégé[3] or SWOOP[4]. Sorry I am still learning and
there is not much more documentation on this yet but I would
appreciate any comments (privately since I am not sure it
would be of wide interest) about the ontology. Also, it
appears from some blog posts that people are trying to extend
Drupal with semantic web features[5].

 Jayaram

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/
[2] http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/rdfapi/