[pmwiki-users] Upgrades for a dumb user

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu May 11 10:58:51 CDT 2006

On 5/11/06, kirpi at kirpi.it <kirpi at kirpi.it> wrote:
> >> If I take (no text commands available, just graphical interface) the
> >> "pmwiki-x.y.z" folder and copy it over my existing "wiki" folder, it
> >> will overwrite eveything.
>
> > That's exactly how upgrades should be done.
> > Note that all your pages in wiki.d/ will survive this, since the
> > pmwiki-x.y.z folder doesn't contain files in wiki.d/ .
>
> In other words you mean: "please, do this way"?

I think others are telling you not to worry. PmWiki does not touch
"local" directories: cookbook, wiki.d or local (or uploads). PmWiki
overwrites pmwiki.php, some "pmwiki" parts of pub, and scripts. So,
assuming you have only put your stuff in the "local" directories, then
you should operate without fear. The worst that could happen is
incompatibility with one of the recipes. What was the version you are
currently using? If we know, then we can tell you what might go wrong
otherwise (PmWiki is not always reverse compatibile, but most of it is
easily remedied).

The savest approach is to pull your entire installation onto your
desktop via Filezilla as an archive. Then, a sibling directory becomes
the new installation. Put your "local" into the new install. Test and
gain confidence the new version works. Then, you can move those files
over.

--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"