[pmwiki-users] MarkupToHTML called 3 times?

David Kulp dkulp+pmwiki at cs.umass.edu
Mon May 8 11:39:20 CDT 2006

On May 6, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 04:52:06PM -0400, David Kulp wrote:
>> I inserted $StopWatch because pages are currently rendering in 5-10
>> seconds.  I was surprised to see that MarkupToHTML is called 3
>> times.  Is this normal behavior?
>
> Yes.  MarkupToHTML is called once for the main page, once
> for the left sidebar, and again for the page actions (at the
> top right).

OK.

>> For example,
>>
>> Event Time Cumulative
>> PmWiki 0.00 0.00
>> MarkupToHTML begin 4.38 4.38
>> MarkupToHTML end 1.15 5.53
>> MarkupToHTML begin 0.59 6.13
>> MarkupToHTML end 0.00 6.13
>> MarkupToHTML begin 0.58 6.71
>> MarkupToHTML end 0.02 6.73
>> now 0.00 6.73
>>
>> Initialization apparently takes 4 seconds.  And then each Markup
>> takes about 1 sec.  That all seems surprisingly slow.
>
> That is *incredibly* slow.  On pmwiki.org I get:
>
>     00.00 00.00 config start
>     00.01 00.00 config end
>     00.08 00.07 MarkupToHTML begin
>     00.21 00.21 MarkupToHTML end
>     00.23 00.23 MarkupToHTML begin
>     00.28 00.28 MarkupToHTML end
>     00.28 00.28 MarkupToHTML begin
>     00.29 00.29 MarkupToHTML end
>     00.30 00.30 now
>
> which is a lot more reasonable -- initialization takes 0.08 seconds
> on my system (and I have quite a few recipes and other things
> taking place).
>
> I don't have any idea why PmWiki would be taking so long on
> your system,  unless it's being handled at a very low priority
> or the system is heavily loaded for some reason (or there's
> a problem with PHP).  Maybe send me your config.php, just
> to have a look?

Ugh.  My apologies to all for posting this question (twice!) and then
finding that it went away after a reboot.  I'm usually careful to try
various degrees of restarting before asking questions.  This time,
since the system was not heavily loaded and appeared to be performing
fine otherwise, I didn't bother rebooting before I emailed the list,
to avoid angering other users of the server.

My times are much more reasonable now.  Sorry to bother you.

-d